Saturday 19 June 2010

Mindburst



Twitter: so far I don't get it. I find it pretty bewildering. Long ago in a sci-fi TV series called Babylon 5, a girl suddenly acquires the ability to hear everyone's thoughts (a mindburst). Everyone's. All at once. That's what Twitter feels like to me. What do you do with it? Partly it's the text-speak, partly the troubling fact that I don't know any of these people. But in an attempt to select an event to follow, I kept an eye on Twitter during the World cup match between England and Algeria, and the subsequent post-mortem discussion. It was great! I picked up some of the best jokes I've heard in ages:

"What's the difference between the England team and a tea bag?"

"The tea bag stays in the cup longer."

Excellent. Unfortunately I've had to censor all the others as I haven't worked out how to do the adult content warning thing. I think in future when there's something groundbreaking going on I will probably have a look at Twitter and see what people are saying and make a few comments of my own. But I can't get the point of it for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment