Friday 13 August 2010

Google Docs

Google Docs is something I'm keen to use at work. Cataloguing projects often have a fast staff turnover and yet we ned to document cataloguing policy. Putting this on the intranet means that you have to do HTML every time you need to add or change something.

So I planned to use Google Docs to store our project cataloguing documentation.
But I found when I began to copy our cataloguing notes into Google docs that the formatting went haywire. It's not quite such an instant solution as I hoped. However, I admit I'm pretty impatient, so I will persevere. Until now, whenever I've needed to collaborate on a library document with other staff members we've used the collaborative function on Microsoft Word. In order to use Google Docs I'll have to persuade other people to adopt it too, so it will be interesting to see if they're happy to change.

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa - have you thought of using the wiki or resources function in CamTools for the documentation? I see what you're saying about needing to do the html to get stuff online (though with Dreamweaver that's a lot easier to convert directly from Word) and it doesn't allow for collaboration but I think what CamTools offers for this is perfect. We've talked about using it for our documentation but are finding that having an extra person to get stuff onto the intranet has meant there's no time lag now so it's less urgent for us.

    ReplyDelete