Friday 2 July 2010

Slideshare



Wow, I think this is called synergy! I did a little exploring on Slideshare and found this presentation which is an introduction to Twitter!
I found on Slideshare what's become a familiar web 2.0 situation: there's a lot of stuff there of varying quality and it's tedious wading through it for something authoritative. I'm not sure of the source of some of the material - surely some of the presentations are in fact corporate advertising? Which could make them less reliable. Investigating all this is time-consuming. I think it would be fine for a topic you already knew something about and didn't want to re-invent. Looking at the range of presentations on web 2.0 for example, I would choose one by a person or institution who already has an established reputation in the library world. But I don't think I would risk using Slideshare in the situation where I tend to need it most - the times when I have to acquire basic knowledge of a topic for a tight deadline.
Some of my resistance to Slideshare is a personal dislike of Powerpoint presentations, dreading another hour of my life wasted by someone explaining the bleedin' obvious. But like all these things, it's a useful way to see what's out there, especially the way corporate presentations differ from those in the library world.

No comments:

Post a Comment